Three Days: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Process engineering, process automation, and process safety personnel
Safe Automation in the Process industry is a three-day course designed to orient attendees to the principles of safe automation, including the practices and terminology used in the design and implementation of instrumented safeguards. Experienced personnel can also benefit from awareness of more recent developments in safe automation terminology, updated standards, and techniques on sharing these concepts with newer employees.
This course will introduce the key concepts and practices necessary to design and implement safe automation, including the following topics:
- Safe automation lifecycle process
- Safe automation fundamentals, including application program, HMI, procedure and personnel systems
- Instrument justification and alarm management
- Designing automation for functional safety
- Control and safety system hardware selection (e.g., instrumentation, logic solvers, auxiliaries)
- Controlling systematic error in automation systems, including designing for security
- Safe automation metrics
The course participants will gain an understanding of the following:
- Relationship between inherently safer design and functional safety.
- How automation network design impacts cybersecurity of the systems.
- How safe automation is included in the standard project work process.
- Selecting automation devices that are fit for purpose and reliable.
- How operating objectives and inherently safer design principles are incorporated into reliable automation design.
- Establishing metrics for automation performance
- Key instrumented safeguard management practices, including bypass management, change maintenance planning, automation organization planning, auditing, etc.
- Fundamentals of safety function specification.
- Essentials of alarm management, including management, instrument and alarm justification.
Eloise Roche is a Senior SCAI Consultant with expertise in and passion for sustainable process safety lifecycle management, effective assessment of instrumented protection systems, and related curriculum development and delivery. Competencies include PHA and LOPA facilitation, SCAI specification and verification, and functional safety assessment and auditing.